Thursday 8 August 2013

A LESSON FOR HUMANISM


It was a long waiting hall, & my Dad handed me his clothes after changing into the operation gown. Dad was about to enter the OT for his Cataract Surgery at L.V. Prasad Eye Institute.
In the waiting area were people of all ages. Some were patients waiting for their surgery, some were patients who waited for the green flag to go back home after surgery and the rest were attendants. In between all these my eyes were drawn to 2 little kids who were innocently doing their usual kiddy activities. From their outfit & appearance I could easily guess that they belonged to the Below Poverty Line. The sorrow & grief in their parents eyes, showed their pathetic condition.
Of the 2 kids, there was a girl (about 6 years) whose face showed clear innocence like any other child, but she was blind on one eye. Due to her blindness she felt like an alien in the midst of normal people. The way she tried to look minutely at tiny things showed that she has been trying to concentrate very very hard to see things around her. Having a talk with her parents I came to know that they are very very poor to afford a surgery for their child's eye. My mind got shattered when I started thinking how lucky we are but still we complain of not getting several things.These parents have been waiting for 4 long years constantly saving penny by penny to give colors to their child's eye.
I again looked at the girl and thanked God for making me so special.While returning back after my Dad's surgery, I asked the receptionist about the fees that those poor people had to spend for the surgery?
I was really happy to hear the answer
he said."Sir, its free of cost"..
I thought, "Thank you God for still keeping Humanism in this world"...

2 comments: